After some furious knitting fetching is now complete.
I did modify them and I am perfectly happy with them. I have put the changes here incase I lose my notes so I'll have a record of them.
I thought they'd look better if the cable up the top was repeated so you have 2 down the bottom and one up the top.
At the end work 5 rows k4p1 rib, then work a cable round then:
round 1: k4p1 rib.
round 2: Decrease by k1, k2tog,k1, p1 all around.
round 3: K3, p1 around.
round 4: Cast off - regular plain cast off.
This gave it a completed cabley (??) bit at the top and made them fit snuggly, just covering the base of the fingers.
Pick up 3 sts at each side instead of two and it helps to eliminate holes.
Round 1: Decrease by knitting 2 tog at each side, thus eliminating the extra stitches.
Knit 6 more rounds for a total of 7 for the thumb ending just below the thumb joint.
Working with the yarn was a treat and it took less than one ball. Just don't pull too hard on it because it'll break - I was tightening up a stitch - luckily I still had enough to weave in, but did not pull as hard on the second one.
I can understand how addictive these are, and I am off to start another pair for Miss A. I think hers will be in the pink Cleckheaton Country Silk. I'm itching to knit with that and she wants a pair, so her scarf will have to wait a little.